- There is no consensus on the total number of BSL users or deaf BSL users in the UK. There is enormous variation in the available estimates which makes it difficult to plan appropriate support and service provision.
- The 2021 Census Data for England and Wales reports 22,000 who use British Sign Language as their main language in England and Wales .
- It’s estimated that there are 25,000 people who use British Sign Language as their main language across the UK .
- The total number of people in the UK who use British Sign language (not necessarily as their main language) is estimated to be 151,000 and, of these, 87,000 are deaf .
- There are at least 50,000 children who are deaf in the UK .
 Based on the 2021 ONS Census Data for England and Wales. People were asked ‘What is your main language’ and could select ‘English’ or select ‘Other, including British Sign Language’ and then enter their main language. Read the 2021 ONS Census Data for England and Wales report.