The training and onboarding steps you’ll go through once you’ve successfully completed the volunteer application process.
This might be an in-person session or a remote session held online with your RNID supervisor.
- your responsibilities as a volunteer
- how we’ll support you
- how to access the volunteer handbook
- how to access the volunteer zone, an online platform where you can find information, policies and training materials
- how to stay up to date with news from RNID
- how to claim expenses. We’ll cover all reasonable, out-of-pocket and pre-approved travel expenses, in line with our volunteer expenses policy. These expenses shouldn’t affect any benefits you receive, but if you have any concerns, please speak to your benefits advisor.
Introduction to RNID
This is a remote session usually held online.
You’ll also have the chance to meet other volunteers and RNID staff and ask questions.
This may include training on:
- deaf awareness
- data protection
- equality, diversity and inclusion
For some roles, you may be need to complete more training. For example, a hearing aid maintenance volunteer will need to complete hearing aid maintenance training.
We’ll offer you ongoing support to help you excel in your role and make sure you find volunteering for RNID enjoyable.
If you’re concerned about anything, your RNID supervisor will be happy to speak to help. You can alternatively speak to RNID’s Safeguarding Lead.
We’ll also offer any communication support you need and do our best to meet your accessibility needs.
Find a volunteering opportunity
Our volunteers are vital in helping us make life fully inclusive for the 12 million people in the UK who are deaf or have hearing loss or tinnitus.
We have remote and in-person volunteering opportunities available across the UK.
Investing in Volunteers
We achieved the Investing in Volunteers quality mark in 2023 for the work we do with volunteers across the UK.
More about volunteering
If you are deaf, have hearing loss or tinnitus and need free confidential and impartial information and support, contact RNID.
We’re open 8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.