Old name, new purpose: why we’ve gone back to RNID

Get help at work

If you’re deaf or have hearing loss, find out what help you can get in the workplace.

Help at work

If you are deaf or have hearing loss, your employer has a duty to make adjustments so you’re not put at a disadvantage. Find out more about your rights at work and what you are entitled to.

You can ask your employer for a workplace assessment. This is where a specialist visits you at work to assess what simple adjustments, equipment and support you could benefit from. They’ll then produce a report containing their recommendations.

Workplace assessments are usually provided by the government scheme Access to Work. They’re also available from specialist providers, such as RNID. The assessment and the costs for the support and equipment you need can often be paid for through an Access to Work grant. Find out more about Access to Work.

Support and equipment available

Types of support and equipment that could help you in the workplace include:

Read more about talking to your employer about your hearing loss and what to do if you aren’t given the support you need. 

Deaf awareness at work

It’s important that your colleagues understand how they can best support and communicate with you. You might find it useful to share our communication tips.

RNID also offers a variety of courses to help workplaces become inclusive for deaf people and those with hearing loss. Talk to your employer if you think your workplace may benefit from one. 

Help from RNID

RNID runs local employment services in Northern Ireland and Wales to help people find and stay in work. Find out more about our employment services.