Old name, new purpose: why we’ve gone back to RNID

Access to Work

An Access to Work grant could help pay for any assistive devices or communication support you need at work.

If you are disabled or have a health condition that makes it hard for you to do your job, your employer must make changes (called reasonable adjustments) to support you. They must make sure you are not substantially disadvantaged when doing your job.

If you need support on top of the reasonable adjustments that your employer makes, you may be able to get an Access to Work grant to help cover the cost of practical support in the workplace.

If you are deaf or have hearing loss, Access to Work may be able to cover the cost of any communication support or assistive devices that you need to do your job. This could include, for example, a listening device or loop system to help you hear during meetings.

Find out more about the technology and assistive devices available.

The money does not have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.

Who can get Access to Work 

You may be able to get Access to Work if you’re 16 or over and have a disability or other condition that affects your ability to work. You’ll be offered support based on your needs.

You need to have a paid job, or be about to start or return to one.

You might not get a grant if you already get certain benefits. 

To find out more about Access to Work, see the GOV.UK website, or the nidirect website if you live in Northern Ireland.

How to apply

If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, you can apply online at GOV.UK.

If you live in Northern Ireland, visit the nidirect website for information on how to apply through the Department for Communities or your local Jobs and Benefits Office.