Old name, new purpose: why we’ve gone back to RNID


If you are deaf or have hearing loss, there are devices available that can help alert you when an alarm goes off in your home.

Types of alarms

Smoke alarm systems

A smoke alarm system is made up of a smoke detector and other devices that can alert you when you are awake or sleeping. These devices can include a flashing light and vibrating pager as well as a vibrating pad that you can place under your pillow. Some systems may also include heat and carbon monoxide alarms. Prices range from £100 for more basic models to £600 for those made up of more devices and detectors.

You are also entitled to a free home-fire risk assessment from your local fire and rescue service. They can recommend the most suitable smoke alarm system for you. You can find your local fire and rescue service from the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC).

Alarm clocks

Tailored bedside and portable alarm clocks normally include an extra loud alarm, a flashing light and a vibrating pad you can put under your pillow. If you use an alarm on your smartphone or tablet, you can also use a vibrating pad to alert you. This can connect to your smartphone or tablet using Bluetooth. Prices range from £20 to £60 for those with more features.

Baby monitors

Specialised baby monitors can include a unit with a visual display that flashes to alert you and a vibrating pad you can place under your pillow or mattress to wake you at night. They may also have a built-in television camera to allow you to see your baby on a display screen when in another room. Prices range from £50 to £400 for more advanced models.

Multi-alerting systems

This combines all your alerts – e.g. your doorbell and home phone – to notify one or more receiver devices. When you get an alert, the portable receiver lets you know by vibrating, flashing a light or with a loud alarm sound. Some systems also have an option to receive alerts on your smartphone. Prices range from £30 to £60 for those with more available features.

Get help paying for technology

You may be able to get help paying for technology from:

  • your local council’s sensory services team
  • your workplace, if you need technology to help you to work
  • the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) scheme, if you are in post-18 education.

Find out more about how to get help paying for technology.

Where you can buy alarms

You can buy these alarms and accessories from Connevans, one of the leading suppliers of hearing related assistive technology, through their online shop. We are working in partnership with Connevans to make sure you can buy all the equipment you may need.

There’s a broad range of equipment and assistive devices to help you stay independent and continue to enjoy the things you want to do.

Browse the Connevans online shop.

You may also be interested in:

Get help with products

We can help you get the products and equipment you need to manage your hearing loss or tinnitus effectively.
Find local support