Old name, new purpose: why we’ve gone back to RNID

Discounted travel

If you are registered deaf or use hearing aids, you and your travelling companion could get a third-off rail travel. You may also be eligible for free or discounted travel on local public transport.

Discounted rail travel

You can get a Disabled Person’s Railcard if you live in England, Scotland or Wales and are registered deaf or use hearing aids. 

The card costs £20 for one year or £54 for three years, but you’ll get one third off most adult rail fares at any time of the day for travel on the National Rail network in Great Britain.

If you’re travelling with another adult, they’ll also get one third off their rail fare, so you can save money for a friend or family member too.

To prove you qualify for a Disabled Persons’ Railcard, you’ll need to show evidence that you are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid.

If you are registered as deaf, you will need to get a Social Services official stamp on the form to confirm this.

If you use a hearing aid, you will need to provide either:

  • a copy of the front page of your NHS battery book
  • or a copy of your dispensing prescription from a private hearing aid provider.

To find out more and to apply, visit the Disabled Persons Railcard website

Discounted bus travel 

You may be able to get a disabled person’s bus pass if you meet the eligibility criteria. There’s no central provider of this scheme, so get in touch with your local authority to find out if you qualify: